Sunday, January 13, 2008

Past crafting and a new friend in Blogland

Back in November, I thrifted a set of pink gingham pillowcases with cherries on them. Cindy saw them and suggested that I use them to make Martha's "Sleeper of a Bag".


The bag was super easy and came out pretty cute. I did a couple things differently than Martha. I ripped out the stitching on the open end of the pillowcase and cut off the excess. I didn't want the extra bulk that the double layer of fabric would create in the finished bag. (I used this piece to make the tissue holder.) The other thing I did differently was to ignore the instrucitons to hem the cut edges before putting the two pieces together. I turned under 1/4" (twice), ironed and pinned. Then put the two pieces together and stitched it all together.

I made the bag and tissue holder (before Christmas) for my new buddy, Yard Sale Princess, who was one of the winners of my 100th post giveaway. Now, the Princess has officially graces us with her presence in blogland. So go check out her new blog, Digging For Treasures, and give her a big welcome to the community.

6 comments:

Cindy Is Crafty said...

That is way too cute, Christy! Welcome back to the land of the crafty! :O) After making a coouple I also "bagged" the hemming first, too.

Yard Sale Princess said...

Christy,
Oh wow, thank you so much for posting about me. Okay, wait...I was tearing up. You are so sweet! I have had quite a few visitors mention you so I came over here to figure it out. Thanks again. After looking at the picture of the tissue holder it reminded me to go and fill mine up. Thanks again!

Karyn said...

I completely love your bag and matching tissue holder! I've yet to make one of those for myself and I'm thinking it's time I do!

Vallen said...

Very cute. I made one last summer and changed a few things but I like what you did cutting off the double hem. I will try that next time.

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

I love this bag!!

Julie said...

Ooooh, I have dozens of pillowcases and I don't want to make all of them into dresses. This is a great idea. Yours is adorable with the cherries.