Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Green Week

Our local Recycling Center for bottles & cans


There hasn't been a whole lot of crafting going on here, so I thought I'd invite you all to join AfricanKelli's Green Week. Join her Flickr group and share what you do in your every day life to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I've posted a couple photos there, but I'll share some of my greening activities here too.


Nathan helping with the recycling
We recycle bottles (glass & plastic) and cans at the recycling center. Nathan is starting to understand that new things will be made from the items we recycle. We don't have any sort of curbside recycling program, but I'm going to do some research and find out what other sorts of recycling facilities we have around town.
Other things we do to be more earth friendly:
-Use CFL lightbulbs instead of incandescent
-Combine errands by "trip linking". I also cut down on errands by using the ATM in the grocery store to get cash and buy stamp. Groceries, cash, stamps...all in one stop.
-Buy in bulk, which cuts down on packaging.
-Use cold water for washing most clothes.
I know there are many little things we can all do to make a difference. What are you doing to live a greener life?

2 comments:

Dana said...

Love this post!

To live a greener life we hang our clothes on a line to dry instead of using the dryer. We grow a huge organic garden and use it all! We compost. We unplug anything not being used. Um . . . I'm sure there are more.

Great job!

Dinah said...

I also unplug things that aren't being used, and limit my driving as much as I can. (That also helps in the pocketbook.) I'm also looking at buying something powered by diesel so I can use Biodiesel - which I'm SOLD on. Its clean as a whistle, it helps the environment and is putting some farmers back in business. I'm also trying to limit how much plastic I use, but I've found it's the hardest one to conquer so far.