Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Just keep sewing....Just keep sewing......

At this time of year, we're all reminded of the needs of those less fortunate than ourselves. We are often asked to volunteer, donate, or give of our time and talents.

Every year, a friend of mine asks her friends and family to gather small size toiletries to be distributed to local homeless folks. She lives in an area with a very temperate climate which causes an influx of homeless people during the winter.

I try to send a few toiletries and zippered pouches each year, but it just wasn't in the budget this year. Shipping has gotten so expensive and with family oversees, I need to focus my postal service budget on them.

So, I looked at what I have......a LOT of fabric, and thanks to my mom for a fabulous gift last Christmas, I had more zippers than I'd ever use for my own projects in this lifetime. Add my talent (Ha! Ha!) for sewing and you get this.....


I offered to make "some" zippered pouches for my friend to fill with toiletries. She has many friends who travel and collect those lovely hotel shampoos and soaps, but they don't all sew. I thinks this makes a good balance.

Plus, I dug my serger out of the cupboard and put it to work for the first time in a long time! I followed the Charity Gift Bag tutorial from Heirloom Creations to create 40 zippered pouches. I used the serger tutorial for the nylon zippers and merged both the serger and sewing machine tutorials for the metal zippers.

My friend was thrilled to receive these. They'll be put to good use in Flagstaff. And I put a dent (although minor) in my fabric and zipper stash. A win all around!

2 comments:

Liz said...

They look amazing! Good for you to remember others at this time of year.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

That's such a great example of teamwork, Christy! And a lot of zippered pouches!