Tuesday, April 15, 2008

WIP....Done!

The WIP that I've been posting about is now done! Which explains why it's been a bit quiet here.

Nathan's teacher has been called to active duty for the Navy and today was her last day at school. I wanted to do something special for her and have each of the kids participate somehow. This is what I came up with:

I cut a thrifted Egyptian cotton sheet into squares and had each of the kids draw a picture with Sharpies. (I LOVE Sharpies for this kind of thing!)

Blue and orange are the school colors, so fabric selection was fairly simple. I wanted the sashing to be simple, so that the artwork would be the focus. I also appliqued the school initials on the bottom right corner, but covered them for the photo. (safety reasons)

There's also a label on the back, which I forgot to take a photo of.

As predicted, I was up 'til 2:00 a.m. working on the quilt. And it still wasn't done! Luckily, I had a couple hours this morning before the going away party. I put in the last tie at 11:50. Rushed to pick up the cake. And made it to school just in time for the party!

So....done. Blogged. Going to take a nap!

11 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Christy,

What a lovely and thoughtful gift for her.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

What an awesome present! I bet those memories will keep her happy when she remembers them over her deployment. I will keep her in my thoughts!

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

What a wonderful gift!!

Jodi Ohl said...

That is really beautiful and ohhhh so meaningful!! Love it.

You are the best at working under pressure!! You are my hero!

Christina Marie said...

It's Fantabulous!!!

Cheeziemommie said...

It looks great Christy! Did she cry? My family and I always say that's the true sign of a great gift hehehe Get some rest! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

jessica said...

Hooray - it really is wonderful! i hope you had a great nap.

jillytacy said...

Christy,
What a wonderful gift! As a teacher myself I know it's something I would treasure. You are so nice for putting all that effort and work into it. I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

the quilt is so cute! I love it! What a wonderful gift!

Jane said...

What an amazing gift! Also, thanks for the tip about sharpies. I have always used fabric crayons in the past and the results are just OK.

cyndi said...

That turned out sooooo good. I can't believe how out of control you went. It was truly made with luv.